The West Cliff Lift is listed for Auction
The historic West Cliff Lift, on the Western Undercliff in Ramsgate, is to be sold.
WW Martin built the West Cliff Lift for £3,328 in 1928. It was to "hold 20 persons, including the attendant, and travel at a speed of 200 feet per minute, with a shaft of 78ft". Located on Prince Edward Promenade, the lift was constructed to provide access to the Undercliff Drive and sands from the cliff top. The lift consists of a stone base and rendered shaft, with a glass front. It was listed as Grade II in 1988, and decommissioned in 1993. The following year we were commissioned to build the Ramsgate Bandstand, Tea Pavillions and Boating Pool.
The lift has been looked after since it's closure by volunteers and in 2017, a project took place to replace the glass in the lift shaft with perspex panels, and create artwork pieces at both the top and bottom of the lift.
It is now being sold at auction, with hope that it can be restored to it's former glory.